Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Routing & Remote Access Service Fails in Win2K Adv. Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilijak

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2002
US
I have installed the Routing and Remote Access Service on a few other Win2K Adv. Servers in the past without incident but for some reason, the service fails to start on this server. This error message is from the MMC Window and is verbatim:

"Could not start the routing and remote access service on local computer. The service did not return and error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator."

This is a brand new installation with absolutely no third party software installed. It is a PDC with DHCP, DNS and WINS services added. All server functions appear to be normal except for the RAS installation.

I went in to services to start the RAS service manually and I got the same error. Has anyone ever seen this type of error before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bilijak

I have problem with modem in RRAS, I nstall (5) modems PCI card, and already I installed (RRAS) in Win2k Adv. server, I can see all the port coms in (RRAS), but the problem is only one users can dial to server, pls help me.

I've got the same problem on a Win 2K Professional (workstation) on my home LAN. Can ping other PC's, but can't ping itself. Wish someone would throw us a hint.

funny, I just started getting the same error message as above. this is a win2k installation that has been running for about 8 months now, with no problems, no stability issues at all. However, lately it will crash every 6 - 12 hours. Any ideas?

I have the same problem. Whenever I try to install Routing and remote access it gets all the way to the end when it tries to start the service and fails. This is also on a W2k advanced server. I also got the following error code:

The Routing and Remote Access service cannot be started because the following error

The service has returned a service-specific error code.
(8007042a)

I also get the following event Id errors:

Source: RemoteAccess
Cagegoru: None
Event ID: 20103

Description:
Unable to load C:\WINNT\System32\iprtrmgr.dll.

Source: Service control Manager
Category: None
Event ID: 7024

Descreption:

The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific error 2.

Any help to what the solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

burnham187,

I have exact the same problem. Were you able to resolve it? If yes, then how. I tried steps listed in jpm121's post without any sucsess

Hi Bilijak.

Did you manage to find a solution to the problem mentioned above?

If so, any chance of some advice, any help would be appreciated, I am desperate.

Thanks

Kilted

Dude,

Just delete your card from the device manage, reboot en check the plug and play process reboot again enable routing and remote access

bye bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back