Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router verses Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

djrainer

Technical User
Nov 16, 2005
US
I will be working at home with a company supplied Dell laptop. I have Cable/Modem conx at home. I want to be able to use both Laptop and personal PC on the cable modem at the same time. Will either a switch or router work and if so, which would work best? Thank you

A switch is best in my opinion if both the laptop and PC will be on the same IP subnet. If they won't be on the same subnet, you'll need a router.

Hope that helps

Becareful if you are using a switch, you will end up with 2 public IPs and you can be billed for the usage of the second IP. Also, your cable/modem might of also registered the MAC (physical address of your network card) and might not work if you insert a switch between your home PC and your modem. Best bet would be a Router (linksy, dlink whatever). You have the "added" protection of a mini-firewall in a router. Routers do need a little configuration especially if your modem registered your mac address and/or you don't get dynamically assigned IPs froms your ISP.

Use a router! Use a wireless router. Then your laptop (it does have a wireless card right?) can easily connect. And you can work in bed too! And as akwong said, you get a great firewall (very important). If your laptop doesn't have a wireless card, buy one. Then buy a Linksys wireless router. They're great.

Do a net search for how to configure your router if you get stuck, but believe me, the step-by-easy-step setups for these things are great nowadays.
I think nowadays ISP modems do dynamically assign IPs. You should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back