Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrScr

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2002
AU
Hi Guys.

This is probably an easy one but I just can't seem to nail it.

Running XP Pro Workstations connecting to a Win2K Advanced Server. If I have the IP address of the server in the Pri DNS field, it logs on fast etc... Now this would be fine by me except these guys have an Internet Sharing Router that requires me to put it's DNS addresses in. If I have the routers DNS address as my Pri DNS address, it takes upto 5 minutes to log on but the net works fine. If I put the Server IP as Pri DNS, it logs on quick but no internet is available. I've tried adding both addresses and putting them in different orders so don't bother suggesting that. They both want to be primary. I believe I had this problem a while ago and was able to fix it by adding a persistent static route... is this the way to go? The problem with that is I can't seem to get the syntax right. I will tell you the addresses so you can hopefully write out the exact syntax so it's easy for me to follow. Thanks guys.

Server IP = 192.168.0.1
Workstation IP's = 192.168.0.x
Router IP = 192.168.0.2
Router DNS 1 = 139.134.5.51
Router DNS 2 = 139.134.2.190

I believe I previously set the static route to connect to the server IP and was able to leave the router details in my TCP/IP properties... see how you go.

"If I have the routers DNS address as my Pri DNS"
Put your service providers prmary DNs IP address as the primary one on the Xpro and place a secondary dns of your server. Use the gateway address of the router on all machines. Verify subnet masks etc on both machines are correct. Route once; switch many

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back