Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router to Router VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcollins0322

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2003
US
I have established a gateway to gateway VPN using a 3COM Superstack 3 Firewall(VPN1) and a Netgear FVS318(VPN2). I am able to ping workstations on both sides of each VPN tunnel. My problem is there is a router residing on the LAN side of VPN1 that I can not ping from VPN2. Does anyone know why I would be able to ping everything else inside the network, but not the router? I am running ESP 3DES MD5 encryption. Shared secret with netbios disabled.
PFS enabled.

VPN1 -----------internet -------------VPN2
192.168.0.2<-------->ping--replies<-------->192.168.2.2

192.168.0.1 Cisco on VPN1 <----timed out---192.168.2.2

Is it possible ( i dont have experience with cisco) that the cisco router will only accept requests from it's own subnet?

just a suggestion.

The cisco device needs to have the correct gateway settings (to tell it how to reply to the other subnet...)

Alex

I don't have much experience with Cisco router's either. I appreciate the help.
I was told that the static route for 192.168.2.0 was configured. I don't have control of the Cisco router to check. Could the ping fail be because the ICMP request are coming from a remote location as opposed to a local ICMP request?

The Cisco will accept and reply to any echo-request by default. There could be an access-list on it, or even on the firewall to specifically protect the Cisco. One never knows.

I'd get the person in charge of the Cisco to trace back to a device on your LAN and see where it's dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back