Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Simulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBowen

Technical User
Jan 26, 2001
GB
Can anybody tell me how good router simulators are, and what ones are best? Do you have free will to configure the virtual routers how you want, or are you only allowed to follow the simulators step by step guide?

I have heard Boson are good, and CiscoPress are not - any others that are supposed to be good?

Thanks for your time,

Daniel,

Daniel,

Routersim 3.1 from was recommended to me, I have been using it for my CCNA. For my money it is worth the price $239.00. You get 5 x 2500, 1 x 2600, 6 x 1900 and 8 x hosts to configure anyway you wish.

Good luck

kvgb

The SIMS are crap. You can only enter the correct commands for the particular sinerio. They're also so cake easy that they don't really teach you anyting. They also function poorly and there's no way to save your work mid-lab.

go for the actual hardware.
----------------------------------------
Wassabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

You have to do what works for you and if you cannot afford the actual hardware I suggest using router simulators. Everyone is always harping on the hardware bandwagon but they need to realize that not having enough hardware can be a problem also. Lets say you ponied up enough money to purchase a bare 2500 series router. Sure you can randomly enter commands but what good does that do without seeing the results? To fully benefit you would need another router, cables, serial simulator etc. For this reason I would say use a simulator and from someone who have reviewed them all I must say they are not bad at all. Some are better than others and personally I would not purchase a simulator from Sybex. Like the rest of us, you will rise to the level (experience/financially) of having your own equipment.

Try starting with
WANDr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back