Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Simulation 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyBoy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2001
GB
Need to find a router simulator that can gide me through the basics of configuring a Router

routersim 2 is a good one i am using you, you can get it from routersim.com they dont give you a box and it about $250.00 try it

I have been using Cisco routers for about 2 years. We have a total of 6 routers that connect our branches around the nation via a WAN. I've decided to take the cisco exams but can't use the routers here at work - the best router sim I have seen is by sybex. You can get it for about $149.00 - it is great! It is just like the real thing. You can also purchase a book that goes along with it. If you use those two items together you will have no problem configuring a router - along with passing the CCNA exam (if you want to).

Go to the following link - do a search for cisco. The router simulator is called "CCNA Virtual Lab e-trainer" and is written by Tom Lammle and William Tedder.

Anyway hope this helps!

Pinkman MCSE, CCA

Sybex has a decent sim for around $99 but it is limited in capability..... :)

RouteSim just brought( is bringing?) out a new sim that lets you drag and drop routers and switches into the network. Much more flexible then the older preconfiged design they had.

MIkeS "Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Hello
to Everyone have a nice day.
now u help me i am learning cisco router i am not haveing router at my home but i want do partical at my is it possible please feed back me if u know anythink about this Question. and if can u give router simulation

I found pretty one freeware on download.com
Its Router Simulator 1.1 good for learning of IOS

Valleyboy:
go to winmx.com, download their file sharing ware, load it, than search for router sim (ccna). Download that and enjoy.

shinnok

Bonjour :) "Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

As I haven't used all the Simulators out there I have no idea whats good or bad .. However Cisco ConfigMaker has the choice of graphical network building, and more importantly has the interface to enter your specific commands. Its not a simulator as it is used to deploy the router/switch config over the network in the real world. Has many routers listed and can have variable interfaces so you can practice ATM, Ethernet, ISDN and Serial and so on. Its also FREE, sounds to good to be true? Well have a look at (approx 30MB)

Drew

And CiscoConfig maker is VERY limited to what you can config.. for example.. no NAT which is a very basic function but it doesnt support it.

Advice.. be careful

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Thanks for the leads for the router sims...I am just starting the CCNA course. Just heard they have changed the code...

if you are enrolled in a cisco certified academy, the instructor now has copies from cisco to give to students a router sim through cisco. its good only for semester 1 and 2 as the commands are very limited. its free for all students who are enrolled. i have a copy of it if you need it. try the instructor first. check out this site from boson. they update their simulator every 3 weeks or so with new commands. its around $100 and you get free updates. they are also limitations to the commands that they support but enough if you are going to just the ccna.

you mean that e-sim dont you. yea thats the one im using now and am about to get boson

All this info but no real good router sim, I have tried Boson, The free version is almost useless. Can any one give me the URL for Router Sim 3.0, and if it is available free

I am getting along really well with the Sybex one - you only get two routers and a switch but there are some great step-by-step excerceses which cover the CCNA requirements.

"r tape loading error"

Hello all, I already passed CCNA and I never used a sim for that portion. I did however use the free lab access at r1r2.com. You have to keep some pretty odd hours to gain access to it because A: it's free, B: everyone and their mother try getting on one of the four labs. But you can telnet to r1r2.com to gain access to the labs. Just go to the website first to see what the password of the month is. By the way I have CCNP Simulator from Sybex. I hate it the sims they have are so limited. They don't allow you to create a scenario for yourself. Good for only practicing their specific labs

well this is a old topic but i will throw in on it

boson router simulator is excellent IMO, it has some built in labs as well as you can design your own network design and then config them
I use it at home to practice and then take the config to school and copy and paste them to the routers to quikly set them up and see if it truly works and it always does and then I just practice changing things, debug and tweaking...

most cisco books have the cd in the back that have the eSims on them and while limited will give you the basic idea

boson is about $150 bucks for the newest and I have "heard" that a guy and a few friends might could go in on it and share it but that would be illegal of course!

of course you can find a older version on some of those horrible terrible illegal file sharing spots!!!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back