Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Setup Between two Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckalucka

IS-IT--Management
Sep 1, 2001
US
I currently have 1 network with 10.0.0.0 addresses. We are trying to set up a totally separate network using 192.0.0.0 addresses. I have put a router in between the two networks with 1 ethernet interface(0)connected to the 10. network, and the other ethernet interface (1) connected to the 192. network. Each interface has an address relative to the network it is connected to. I tried to set up a static route between the interfaces so that traffic from the 10. network could find the 192. network, but I still cannot ping a 192. address. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Chuck

Post the config!!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

By the way, you don't need to put any static routes in for networks that are directly connected to the router!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Here's the config.

show config
Using 761 out of 29688 bytes
!
version 11.3
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
service password-encryption
!
hostname Cisco2611-Reactor_Rm
!
enable secret 5
enable password 7
!
ip subnet-zero
no ip domain-lookup
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0/0
description connected to EthernetLAN
ip address 10.0.1.244 255.255.0.0
!
interface Ethernet0/1
description connected to EthernetLAN_1
ip address 192.0.1.4 255.255.0.0
!
router rip
version 2
network 10.0.0.0
no auto-summary
!
ip classless
snmp-server community public RO
snmp-server location Reactor Control Room
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
password
login
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
password
login
!
no scheduler allocate
end

Did you try command "show ip route"? If you can't see any entry regarding your 192.XXX.XXX.0 network, you have to add it using: "router rip -> network 192.XXX.XXX.0" (X to be swtiched with your true numbers). You must configure your routing protocol with "network" command for every directly connected networks. From the section bellow router rip of your config I see RIP can see only 10.0.0.0 network and not the other. And I don't think 192.0.0.0 is valid C-class ip-address.

First, pmesjar is right about the 192.0 network! Change it to 192.168.x.x!

However, in this case you don't need RIP! You're not advertising routes to any other routers here! It's just a single router between two networks.

Also, have you set up the default routes on your workstations to point towards the routers interface! Can they ping the locally connected ethernet interface on the router? Can they ping the other interface for the other network? Can you do a tracert to the other network?

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

If you are going to use RIP, you will need to add a RIP network address for 192.168.0.0. That way, the router will 'see' all directly connected networks.
This is NOT a static config though.

M

As I've already said, RIP is used to advertise connected networks to OTHER routers or devices running RIP! You don't need to tell the router what networks it's connected to! It already knows and should be able to see the MAC addresses of all PC's on it's locally connected networks!

To see, do a sh arp. For example, on my router I can see the proxy server which is directly connected to the ethernet interface ..

router#sh arp
Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface
Internet 213.249.145.33 - 0004.9ac9.d4a7 ARPA Ethernet0
Internet 213.249.145.35 0 0030.7493.701a ARPA Ethernet0
router#

Your problem is nothing to do with routes on the router itself. However, you may need to tell the PC's on the network how to get to the other network that they can't see.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

you wont need to tell the machines on one network about the other as long as the default route for the machines on the network is the IP of the router interface. Do not listen to the comnments about RIP "unhelpful" well said chrisac

You don't need to run RIP to route 2 directly connect networks. Just turn on IP routing. I bet your problem is running a class C address as a class B. Also a class A as a class B. I am not sure but I think in this case you need to be "classfull".

10.x.x.x 255.0.0.0
192.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

Check it out.....

Tom

This shouldn't be a problem as he's running "ip classless".

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Just another point! I presume that you've checked the IP addresses and masks on the PC's and they are running on the same network as the ethernet interfaces on the router??

Just a thought!!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

I think part of the problem here is RIP v2 and the
advertised rip net. Try RIP listening for both RIP 1 and 2.
debug ip rip events.

ip rip send version ?
ip rip receive version ?
and importantly: passive interface int ?

You can also set up a default route:
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 mygateway
so you can test the routing config with rip enabled.

Good Luck.

Once again ... there is only ONE router here with TWO DIRECTLY CONNECTED networks!! RIP is used for advertisting networks to OTHER routers or devices running RIP!!

You don't need to run RIP to route between two directly connected networks on the SAME ROUTER!!

Chuckalucka, have you done any further troubleshooting? Let us know if you find the problem!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

NO sh** sherlock: what's your point?

If he wants RIP to work for whatever reason he should
try the info given , and RIP, if configured properly,
will advertise the table. He can tshoot the routing problems by seeing what RIP routes are advertised.

The hosts on either network listening for their GW
will thank him.

I think that you've missed the point! RIP is very cool when you need to advertise routes to other devices running RIP, but that's not going to solve the problem that he originally posted about, which is pinging from one subnet to the other through the same router! Everyone keeps commenting on his use of RIP without really reading the original post. The router in the middle knows about the 192 and the 10 network because it's connected to them! I think that his problem lies elsewhere.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

You know Chris I would agree with you, but If you think logically about the problem:

He never said whether he was pinging from the router or from a host attached to one of the networks.

1) How are the hosts on either subnet learning their routes? Osmosis?

2) Is he going to configure each host with a default gw?
Is he running a dhcp server that knows about RIP2? If not
is every host RIP2 cognizant: if not is the dhcp server
correctly configured with it's advertised GW?

These are the problems that you are not yelling about,
but instead choose to yell about everyone else's misapprehension of the situation.

You guys are really bringing up some valid points about my situation, and I thank you all for your help. I haven't had much time to work on it (involved in an Exchange server migration), but I am having the other person who is working on it with me change the addresses to 192.168.x.x and the subnet to 255.255.255.0 on his side. We are not running DHCP (static addresses). On the 192 network, they can set the default gateway the the router's 192 interface address. On the 10. network side, we already have a default gateway address pointing to another router which carries us out to the internet. I will try to set a second gateway on the 10. side, but do I need to let the "internet" router know about the internal 192 addresses?

Marsd, you have some valid points there and we did need more information from chuckalucka. Now we have then! Oh, and I wasn't yelling!

So, no DHCP. But another router comes in to play! Now we know why the 10 network counldn't ping the 192 network. The 10 network has an internet connected router, presumably with a default route set up for all outgoing traffic - &quot;ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <outside_int_or_next_hop>.

The PC's on the 10 network will also have a route out to the internet via the internet router. If this is set up as their default route then no traffic will pass back to the 192 network. When a host on the 192 network pings the 10 network, they should have their default gw set up as 192.0.1.4. The router then routes this onto the 10 network, which it is connected to anyway and passes the data on to the host. The host on the 10 network receives this, but doesn't have a route back to the 192 network. So, no ping!! It passes it's traffic to the internet router which doesn't have a route to the 192 network either. It's not internet routeable and so is dropped!

So, you need to set up routes from the 192 network all the way across to the internet router and back again. This could be done using RIP (now that we know there is another router :)). However, with only two routers you might as well set up static routes.

On the internet router you would need to tell it about the 192 network and how to get to it.

ip route 192.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 10.0.1.244

On the router between the two networks you might as well just set up a static route for all traffic, as it's a stub network.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <internet_route_ip>.

This will enable the hosts on the 192 network to gain internet access. Their default gateway will be 192.0.1.4

See how you get on. ************************
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back