Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthabored

Technical User
May 5, 2003
US
I'm looking to purchase a router today for home use. My setup isn't complicated at all...I have a Dell Dimension 4300 (OS is Windows XP) and use DSL to connect to the Internet. The PC also has Norton Antivirus '04 and Norton SystemWorks 03 installed. I realize that my connection to the Internet via my DSL is somewhat secure (on their end...SBC's, that is) but I want to make sure that I'm decent on my end. I'd have no problem installing/configuring the router but if someone could make a recommendation (Linksys, DLink, NetGear, etc.) based on my specs, I'd be much ablidged!

All those is good i believe(not familiar with NetGear though), including one more , SMC .
Cheap ones are those without wireless 802.11(X).
If you won't need it ,buy some without ,you usaully
get the ones without wireless at sales/special offers
since most people shall have wireless router/switches .
Get one that supports DSL and PPPOE ,and having
a integrated 2-4port switch , integratet DHCP server ,NAT functionality / Firewall .

I found that the linksys routers are the easiest to install.

My favorites for home or small office are Linksys and D-Link. Both have some of the best interfaces and features.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

I have been using a Netgear RT314 for several years with no problems.

Netgear is my recommendation for a ~$100 router. They have a nice setup feature and customizable settings. Linksys (in my experience) have a slightly less perfect trackrun, tho it still performs well.
If you do get a wireless router (don't unless you need it or plan to upgrade to wireless in the future), make sure you get a 802.11g supported version. This is the fastest currently available at 54Mbps. If you're not using wireless, make sure you turn off the WAP, otherwise you could have others using your DSL and not know about it.

Should get one (without 802.11x) for less that 50$ .
Saw the D-link Di-604 for 38$ at pricewatch.com .

I have a Belkin 4 port Cable/DSL Gateway Router that to my amazement works perfectly fine. I bought the router because of the cheap price ($45.00 at Staples) but had it for over 9 months now without any issues. It has a built-in firewall that works great and does the job for a small office or home network. The router and firewall is easy to configure. Belkin has impressed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back