Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2005
US
Hi guys,

I know this isn't a POS question per se, but I figured you guys might now.

On most routers, you can put the ip address in the URL of a browser and get the admin name/password page.

Sometimes, I know this is disabled for security reasons. But I've also seen routers where you'd use another URL, for example to get to to the admin page (in other words, putting the router IP doesn't work, but the URL does... again, probably a security thing).

Anyway, one of our pos customers wants to get into his system from PC Anywhere. I can't get to the routers admin page to open the ports. It's Cayman Router, through SBC Yahoo, I think. I have looked online, but couldn't really find anything. I figured there was a good chance that one of the good people in this fine forum might have one of these personally, or have come across.

I don't know the series of the cayman for sure, but I can find out if that is an issue.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm not aware of using a domain name to reference your routers admin pages but I guess it is doable. Most routers allow you to set the IP address AND port for the admin pages. With mine, the internal modem address and the router address are the same they use different ports to get to the respective admin pages. My father-in-law, his ISP couldn't handle this method and required the modem internal address of 192.168.0.1 and set the router to 192.168.0.2 and all other internal addresses started at 192.168.0.10.

I don't think there were any hardware limitiations that forced this configuration, instead I think it was just a working solution that the ISP knew.

Also, most routers have the ability, and it is recommended that you add a password to access the admin page. Hopefully you have this info...

Good luck.

Steve Sommers
Shift4 Corporation --
Creators of $$$ ON THE NET(tm) payment processing services

AkamaiAloha

I use pc anywhere and a caymen router to get into my store. I set it up as well as 3 other stores with the caymen and 5 stores with a linksys (coulndt use sbc for those). It has been a while since I set them up, but 192.168.1.1 I believe was the original IP address, but you should be able to look up the IP address in your tcp/ip configurations. It should be the default gateway. Also, the password to get into the router is on the back of the router on the specs label, the s/n I believe, unless it was changed by your customer or his isp. But sbc usually does not like to change the password. If that is all I can think of right now, hope it helps!!

Thanks, Renokp. Yep, that's the same thing I tried... putting in the default gateway, but it just times out. And I can ping it, so I know it's there. For security reasons, some of them are configured not be browsable (is that a word?) with just the IP, but will allow a URL to be used (the logic being finding out the default gateway is easier than guessing a URL). Anyway, thanks for the response. This issue kind of went cold with this customer--I know they still need it done, but I couldn't afford to dedicate a lot more time to it.

I'll post if I ever find out what the heck is going on.

Hey,

I know this isn't the answer to your PCAnywhere question, but it could be very helpful; because it's been very helpful for me.

Logmein.com is way better than pcanywhere because it's way easier to connect remotely. Also, if it's just for the end user, it can be free, which pcanywhere isn't ever.

For IT admin, I can use rescue log me in and connect to any computer connected to the internet, without knowing anything about their network, router, firewall, or ip or whatever. I use it for a lot of IT admin stuff, it's great.

just trying to be helfull...

Mark P.
Providing Low Cost Powerful Point of Sale Solutions.

Always good to know of other utilties for remote administration, so thanks for passing it along.

The one short coming I do see in the majority of them though, is that not all of them (most of them, actually) are capable of transfering files. PCAW does this pretty well, for example, but VNC does not. You're supposed to be able to it with Remote Desktop Connection, but I can never get that to work.

With RDC, you know you have to set the local resources? Go to the options button, then local resources, and check the Disk Drives check boxes. I don't think it works on Windows 2000 server though.

Also, with logmein you can use USB devices on the remote computer, which RDC doesn't support.

Logme in was built on VNC. Pretty smart idea, sell a free product.

Mark P.
Providing Low Cost Powerful Point of Sale Solutions.

Well when all else fails-

SBC will give you the password to get into the router(well the person who has the account.) Just call sbc and they should have the ip or url in thier system. The sbc guys who I dealt with were nice guys. If you have any questions setting up the caymen router after the fact, let me know. They have a static IP correct?

Yes, that have a static ip. We did call SBC, they were just not very helpful--not they didn't try, just didn't have answers. To be clear, it wasn't a matter of me not having a user name a password--but more specifically, I could not use the raw ip of the default gateway to locate a place to enter the user name and password. I still need to resolve this--keep the suggestions coming, I will post if I figure it out.

Worse case, since the SBC tech folks seemed somewhat on the ball, they may be able to help you reconfigure the router. Most routers have some way to reset them to the factory defaults. Get SBC on the phone, let them know what you plan on doing (basically reinstalling the router) and make sure they are confident and, if so, nuke it!

Steve Sommers
Shift4 Corporation --
Creators of $$$ ON THE NET(tm) payment processing services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back