Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Ordering

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrmann1999

Technical User
Sep 12, 2006
US
I need advise on the best setup. I have an ASA and a traditional 1841 router. My 1841 currently terminates all VPN tunnels(about 30 so far). Both devices sit on my corporate network. Should I make the gateway for my corporate machines my ASA, which then forwards to the 1841, or vice versa?

Currently I have the 1841 forward via a route-map when destined for locations other than corporate locations. This filters all internet use through the ASA before it gets natted and out, but I'm not sure this is the best setup.

Thanks.

Personaly I prefer isolating internet resources like vpn routers. If you have an unused interface on your ASA I would configure that for the 1841 so you dont have to put them both inline. Also 30 vpn tunnels on a 1841 is alot. I baleve they only handle 12mbps with out the AIM-VPN card or 25mbps with.

Unless you have complex internal routing going on, VoIP, or if you have several lines coming in (bonded T1's or other multiple lines,) I would put the ASA on the inside and the 1841 on the outside. but it does depend heavily on what you are trying to accomplish and what exists on your network.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back