Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router on a Stick???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgam

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
IE
Hi all, I'm wanting to know more anout router on a stick - does anyone know of a good website that will explain what it is and why it would be used.

Hi

It is used to route between subnets, typically when a ttached to a switch which carries multiple VLANs.
In a (layer2) switch the VLANs cannot communicate with one another directly. The router is set up with two (primary & secondary) IP addresses on one ethernet port, with one of those addresses in each of the subnets representing the VLANs and can then rout traffic between them.

Hearch for "router on a stick" at
EB

This came up in a meeting I attended this week, customer referred to this as a lollipop router. That's a sweeter description!

Just to confirm what eurobadger says is correct but also to add a couple of points.

Routing on a stick seemed to spring up when ATM was at its height. Many of the ATM Switches had no routing capabilities (3com 7000 for one) so the Router on a stick routed between ATM Elans (bit like VLANS).

If you are considering routing on a stick I would suggest you consider a Layer3 switch as a faster alternative.

Router on a stick has limitations and a layer 3 switch is preferable. I used just such a scenario with ATM LANE with the aforementioned 3Com CB7000 being being augmented by a CB2500 doing the routing. (btw when the CB2500 failed a cisco 2610 router happily did the routing since I had a flat IPX network with the R0AS merely routing IP which was less than 2% of network traffic)

Router on a stick will only succeed where the router and router interface is capable of routing all packets on the network without dropping too many. You have to know pretty much how much data will need to be routed and double it to assess if the interface is capable of coping, since all routed packets go in and come out of the router this way. Thus if the packets account for 56Mbps in one direction and the interface is 100Mbps you will likely encounter problems even if the router itself can cope with that number of packets.

If budgets are tight and you have to vlan your network and introducing a layer 3 switch is not possible, while a suitable router is available then do it, but I would certainly monitor the network carefully since it is a weak point in the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back