Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Jetway BR41 does not show web pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMir

Programmer
Mar 6, 2003
US
I'm trying to install this firewall router (Jetway or Aceex) with a Motorola SurfBoard Cable Modem. The computers connect between them in the P2P network, having dynamic IP's given by the router. The router connects to the ISP and gets from it the DNS Servers IP.
When the computers try to access web pages, appears that wonderful IE error page... The computers are able to ping to the router and to the connection IP of the ISP but unable to connect to the DNS Servers IP ( which can be pinged ). The cables are fine, the gateway is the one of the router and the the IP's are those of the ISP when we look at IPConfig.
What is happening ? BTW I tried with XP, 2000 and W'98 and if I use a router from another company also with a built-in firewall, everything's ok.

Thanks in advance.

From a machine that gets error page, do a tracert to the site you're trying to hit and see what happens. If you know the dns numbers, try putting them in manually and see what happens. Also, ipconfig /all and see what ip's you have.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn return to the same box."

From a machine that gets error page, do a tracert to the site you're trying to hit and see what happens. If you know the dns numbers, try putting them in manually and see what happens. Also, ipconfig /all and see what ip's you have.

I'm at this point I'll be able to tracert it within a few hours ( it is being used the old router ). About the IPconfig, the local IP is 192.168.1.33 and submask 255.255.255.0, the DHCP (automatic), the WINS points out to the router (192.168.1.1) but the DNS Servers (primary and alternate) point out to the DNS from the ISP ( 2xx. ). I've tried to put the IP from the router as a third DNS Server but nothing happened. I'll give you the tracert information at the end of the day.

Thanks.

Thanks,

Watson, the game is afoot!
[pipe] Sherlock Holmes. This is a challenge. Event logs show anything? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn return to the same box."

In order to close this thread, I'd like to say that the problem was due to a certain incompatibility between these routers ( BTW they're not Jetway or Aceex but Surecom instead ) and local Portuguese cable ISP servers or the modems that are being installed here. This was stated by the local distributor. I'm going to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back