Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

router...hub...no idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrix007

Technical User
Dec 26, 2001
AU
i have an old 486, which i plan on installing linux (slackware) as a router, that is fine.the reason i am doing this is i have cable internet and was told something along the lines that a hub will not work and i need a router as it automaticly log on *Shrug*

i have to use a specialies logon app called bpalogin which is no problem, and settung up the routing policies, well that is another question altogether :) i spose i would just use a masquerading firewall

this is my question: can i have my router (486) set up as the gateway to the net, going through my cable modem, and then have a hub connected to my router (486) with all client machines going through the hub?

thanks in advance

The general answer is, yes, you can do this. The specifics depend on your cable company, but it looks like you already know the answers to that and are only wondering about access by the internal machines through this gateway.

The 486 needs to do masquerading to translate internal addresss to the one external address. But you mentioned that also, so..

just what was your question?

Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

sorry for not explaining it, i was mainly describing my set up and asking if it could be done. so i set the 486 up with masquerading, get it connected to the net, give all client machines static ip's, are there any other settings needed, either for client machines or the router?

The router needs to be set with whatever it takes to access your cable modem.

The clients just need a default route pointing at the gateway.
and are very basic articles dealing with this sort of thing- not sure if that's what you need but take a look. Tony Lawrence

hi tony, very content rich site, no doubt i will be back :)

so basicly, for the windows machines, i just set the gateway ip as the ip as my router, and make sure masqrouading is set up on said router?

>so basicly, for the windows machines, i just set the gateway
>ip as the ip as my router, and make sure masqrouading is set
>up on said router?

Ayup. That's the 10,000 foot view. You need to point the Windows boxes at a DNS server too, so the easy way to get all this stuff set at once is to also use your gateway as a dhcp server, but if it's just a few machines, you can certainly do it manually.

Tony Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back