Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router for access server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

backbiter1019

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2004
US
Hi all,
I'm setting up a home lab and was wondering what router would be best to use as an access server. Currently I have 3-2500's and 2-2520's. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I use a 2511 with 2 8 port octal cables. This provides me with 16 ports of console access.

Rgds,

John

backbiter1019,

You can also get a module for the network bay on a Cisco 2600 router and do the same - the 2600s are a little faster but it will cost you more for the router and the right module.

As Burt said a Cisco 2511 (2 x8 octal cables) or a 2509 ( 1 x8 octal cable).

In my lab I have a Cisco 2511RJ which has 16 RJ 45 ports to connect your console cables to rather then the octal cables used by the 2511 or 2509 - they do COST more then the 2511s :-(

One of the BEST books as well as one of the only books I have EVER seen about setting up a home lab - Cisco Press CCNA Practical Studies by Gary Heap CCIE ISBN - 1-58720-046-5 - this is for the old CCNA exam 640-607 but it walks you through setting up a 8 router lab with 2500 routers - it covers getting the routers, configs, and even setting up a 2511 for reverse telnet so that you can console into any of the 8 routers. For about $16 used - GREAT Book !!!

The book is a little dated now but for about $10 it will walk you through setting up a home CCNA Lab with Cisco 2500 routers including all you need to setup a 2509 or 2511 access router for the "reverse telnet" so you can console into all your routers from one place.

Hope this helps :)

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Thanks for the replies! I now have some things to think about.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back