Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

router drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

netmouse

Technical User
Apr 14, 2010
US
I have Netgear RP614 router. I had no problems for years. Last year I began to have random dropped connections several times a day. Maybe two months ago it did not connect each time I booted up my laptop. I have had to disconnect the router power and reconnect that, then do an IPCONFIG /renew on my laptop in order to get connected to the internet (through the cable company modem).

I changed the router connection port (it has 4) from #1 to #2 to plug in the line. Problem was better but still not great and sometimes did not connect on boot up.

Earlier this week I changed to port #4 and have had NO problems.

Question - is there something that breaks or wears out in a port?

ports do go bad , especially on low end consumer grade equipment , I would take a look at how you are connecting to the router

if you have home made patch cords or have just crimped a plug on the end of a cable that would be the first thing I would look at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back