Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucidity23

Programmer
Feb 14, 2001
US
Ok...I have a Linksys router and a system running Win 2k Advanced Server.

The router has worked with other O/S's. I cannot get it to work right with Server though. Is there something I am missing?

I got all the basic settings done, except it will not connect to the net and it will not even let me access the IP for the router. Says "Operation failed"

Any help?

- carpe diem -

I assume you can telnet to the Router? Are you using the correct IP? How many ports on the Router? Are you plugging into the correct port for administration? Is there a serial connection to the Router you can access directly? Are the cables good? is the NIC good? I ask all this because normally if the IP address is good its all the rest :) If its the wrong IP address then all the rest is mute :)
The Geek

Dont be afraid to share what you know. There are no losers in our arena, only self rightous monkeys atop their own tree.

You have something wrong in your config. I have a few clients that use the Linksys routers for their SOHO. It works like a champ. Check your TCP/IP settings, run an ipconfig /all at the command prompt. Check your ip address, if it is a 169.254.0.0 address then your box is not getting an address from your router, and is using Automatic IP addressing. It will work, start with your cables make sure your link lights are all green, then check you IP settings. Have you ever logged into the router?? There is just a little setting you are missing, sorry I don't have more info.

the cables are good, the IP is right, the NIC card is good. I know this cause I can take the router out and use WinPPPoet to connect just fine.

I will sit down and attack it again I guess....doh :)
- carpe diem -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back