Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Configuring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ant007

Technical User
Oct 29, 2003
GB
Hi All,

I have been asked to set up a wireless network in a hotel.
The main reception PC is wired into the router. The hotel would like there patrons to have access to there wireless network.
I have set up WEP security with a key. When the patrons want to connect they request the key from the receptionist.
My question is how do I restrict someone who tries to ping pc's and then stumble onto the ip address of the main reception machine and then try to RDP to that machine or try to map a drive. Basically how do I stop anyone accessing someoe elses pc. I am using a D-Link Wireless router DIR-635.

Thanks

The REAL "security" answer is that you separate your network into public and private segments using two routers. I would make the public router an access point by turning off the DHCP server. You don't want conflicts between the two routers - only one DHCP server per network. Public network would be something like 192.168.100.X and the private network could be anything else 192.168.200.X Whatever, just to keept them separate.

The other answer is not to worry about it too much - turn off file sharing on the reception PC, make sure the user names on the computer have good passwords. You could turn off remote access/remote help.

It's all a matter of how professional you want to be. Most people visiting hotels are not going to be sitting there trying to hack into other computers, but it's a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back