Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

waylander786

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2006
GB
Hi,
a friend has recently moved into an office complex in which the network/internet connection is provided for him. However there is only one network point in his office. The complex allows the connection based on manually configured ip settings as opposed to DHCP. I set this up on his work station and it works fine given the ip range/dns ip settings.

however he wishes to add wireless connections to the network to allow for laptop users. He has bought a zyxel router which has 4 LAN ports and one WAN port.

I set this up connecting the router to the network point with CAT5 plugged in to the WAN port on the router. I assigned a manual ip address to the router within the range provided. I changed the network settings on the workstation to obtain ip addresses automatically but there is no internet connection.

I have inputted the DNS server address on the router config but still have no internet connection.

what am i doing wrong? i will be most grateful for your advice

1) Assuming the IT department allows wireless and this is not some rouge attempt to be fired/banned at work

2) I assume that the IT group does not allow rouge routers. What your friend needs is a Wireless Access Point. Many routers can be demoted to WAPs in a 3 step process.

a) Get a Static IP for the WAP from the IT guys, it should be in the current subnet. (as a router it can't be in the current subnet internally)

b) turn off the DHCP server in the router

c) leaving the WAN port empty, connect the router via LAN ports.

3) If the IT guys do allow multiple routers, be sure the internal subnet of your router is not the same as the subnet the building uses.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Hi thanks,
the IT is outsourced to an external company, they give you the option to set up your own access. For each office they have assigned an ip range based on port numbers.

Do i use a cross over to connect to the point and to confirm
do i assign a static ip address to the router (within the subnet provided for the port), diable the DHCP on the router, assign static ip address to the client machines?

there are no wireless access points, the only thing he has been provided with is one ethernet point for his office

For each office they have assigned an ip range based on port numbers. Do i use a cross over to connect to the point and to confirm do i assign a static ip address to the router (within the subnet provided for the port), diable the DHCP on the router, assign static ip address to the client machines?"

Many routers will be auto-polarity, but yes, a cross over cable is best. If you have an IP range, make the 'Router' the first IP, use the LAN ports and disable DHCP. The other devices, also connected to LAN ports on the Router (or wireless) will get the other assigned IPs. this option will let you file and print share with the rest of the building.

Option 3 above will 'protect' you from the rest of the building. In that scenario the external IP is one of the assigned IPs, and the internal IP of the router is some other subnet.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back