Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

router config dump 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

max1x

Programmer
Jan 12, 2005
US
very new to the cisco world and have a couple of questions:

- How can I tell if I'm logged in to a router vs a switch? I did a sh ver / sh config / sh running-config, but it's not explicitly stated any where.

- I would like to dump of sh ip int desc without having to hit the enter or space bar, is that possible?

Thank you

Show version will give you the proper equipment type.

You can also use (show cdp neighbors detail) to get the ip and equipment type of connected router and switches....

[americanflag] Spc NVARNG
Tek-TIP Member 19,650

on the command line type "term length 0". That will dump everything without pausing between pages of information. Just remember to set "term length 24" to set it back.

Default configs should have the prompt labeled as either switch or router. If you are renaming the devices, you may want to consider keeping like "rtr" or "sw" in the name to help keep it straight

term length 0 worked great.

I will look at sh ver more closely to see if I can poinpoint the information.

below is a sample sh ver of a 7200 router(you can tell the type of device by the model number Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200P-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(4)XD7 then just look up the model number for the type of device);

sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200P-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(4)XD7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 23-Mar-07 16:00 by kellythw

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(4r)XD5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
BOOTLDR: Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200P-KBOOT-M), Version 12.4(4)XD7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Dallas uptime is 3 hours, 4 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "disk2:c7200p-ipbase-mz.124-4.XD7.bin"

Cisco 7206VXR (NPE-G2) processor (revision A) with 917504K/65536K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 35843051
MPC7448 CPU at 1666Mhz, Implementation 0, Rev 2.2
6 slot VXR midplane, Version 2.11

Last reset from power-on

PCI bus mb1 (Slots 1, 3 and 5) has a capacity of 600 bandwidth points.
Current configuration on bus mb1 has a total of 0 bandwidth points.
This configuration is within the PCI bus capacity and is supported.

PCI bus mb2 (Slots 2, 4 and 6) has a capacity of 600 bandwidth points.
Current configuration on bus mb2 has a total of 100 bandwidth points.
This configuration is within the PCI bus capacity and is supported.

Please refer to the following document "Cisco 7200 Series Port Adaptor
Hardware Configuration Guidelines" on Cisco.com <for c7200 bandwidth points oversubscription and usage guidelines.

1 FastEthernet interface
3 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
1 Serial interface
2045K bytes of NVRAM.

250880K bytes of ATA PCMCIA card at slot 2 (Sector size 512 bytes).
65536K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 512K).
Configuration register is 0x2102

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications
CCNA, Net+
Working on MCSA, Convergence+, CCVP

Thank you for the info.

The boxes I'm logging into does not state, at least, in the prompt what it is (i.e rtr vs sw).

Is there is any thing on the box it's self, explicity state rtr vs sw?

Without knowing the model numbers, not really. Because a router can do some switching functions and a switch can do some routing functions.

Are these production devices or in your home lab? If it's your home lab, you can change the prompt to whatever you want with the "hostname" command.

No, these are production boxes, where I'm loging in and pulling data for the several teams to use.

I was trying to create MASTER files for SW and RTR's, which the scripts can query, based on users choice.

If I do sh ver and get MODEL number (is this it C7200P-IPBASE-M)) and may be do a web-look up some where, I can do that...if you can tell me where to look...(I should google this as well)

I've got a script that is looking at the sysDesc.0 from an snmp request. Then it is comparing for model numbers of the switch to see if they exist. Maybe something like that would help you out more.

I apologise for not being clear, it seems:

Here's what I'm trying to do:

When the user logs in thru the web-interface on our site, they will choose SWITCH or RTR option, which based on their input, will list all the necessary devices. Currently, I can login to all the boxes and pull the information (based on sh ver), but I don't know how to tell if it's a SW or RTR, to break the information in appropirate files. So, the user they get a big list of all devices vs a break down.

I've been to the CISCO web-site, but can't seems to find a full list defining switch name vs rtr name (I'm still looking though). The names I capture, can be used to do a look up against this master table and identify one device vs other.

Hopefully, this makes it clear.

Post what you have and we'll tell you. For example, C7200 is a router.
Routers are c1600/1700/1800/2500/2600/2800/7200
switches are catalyst 2950, 2960, 3750, 6500, etc.

Burt

I gotcha. What we've done in my organization is in the name of each device, we have a 2 character designator for what the device is. SW = Switch RT = Router SR = switching/router (like a 6500).

Another option could be to use an snmp field to set it for something to query against.

But, burt is right, shoot the list out here, and we can break it down for you.

Thank you for you help, I googled every device and made a list. I'm just amazed their is no consolidated list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back