Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router choice for small VPN, WRV54G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortunate2001

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2005
US
We have a small office, and are looking for an inexpensive VPN router capable of running softphones. (2-3 VPN clients, mobile workers).

Currently looking at:

Linksys Wireless-G VPN Broadband Router (WRV54G)
D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G High-Speed Wireless Router

Also maybe SonicWall TZ 150 or TZ 170 Wireless

Any success stories with these products? (Or horror stories?)

Thanks-

I would discard the Sonicwall's, no QoS

My priorities:
1. Intermate Trustgate (If they are avaiable where you are)
2. ZyXEL ZyWall (quite good QoS)

Actually, the new firmware on the TZ170 does run QoS.
We have used the WRV54G with success on site to site tunnels but have not used it with VPN Client software as of yet.

I'm not an expert on these by any stretch, but I have had experience with all brands.

The Sonicwall VPN client is a much better client than the Linksys one. has a load of info on this.

I haven't looked into this for a while, but I remember there being lots of issues with the QuickVPN client software. To the point of it not even working at all.

I have also had bad experiences with D-Link wireless.

Hope this helps.

Interesting. I had some good luck with Zyxel in the past.

Doesn't sound like there are many softphones in use out there. How about hard phones in use over these products?

We use sonicwall with their vpn clients and softphones. It works great. We called Oregon office from China hotel and had better voice quality than cell phones for lengthy conversations. Just make sure you have decent internet connections on both ends as well as a decent computer that is virus and spyware free on the softphone end of things.

Also seems to be better voice quality if you have the usb headsets that their own dsp to keep load off soundcard on laptop. Some laptop soundcards are pretty bad.

We use windows 2003 server or 2000 server and just turn on the ras - no vpn client needed it is built into windows xp and 2000. Most customers already have the server just activate ras.

Magix

From experience DO NOT USE sonicwall TZ wireless models nothing but problems caused by the Wireless modules. Other than that Sonics are great boxes and will serve you well. Although for ADSL connections I prefer Dratek Vigor 2600VG's most of my clients have them and they are almost faultless.. VOIP works fine over them as well. Even without QoS support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back