Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router Bottleneck 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
I just got a free upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem from my ISP. In the process of installing it I discovered that my ISP had given me an upgrade to 20Mb Internet service but I didn't even know it because of my router.

I have a Linksys Network Everywhere NR041 router. This has a 4 port 10/100 switch and the Internet port. What I've found is that a PC connected directly to the cable modem will see 20 Mb (speakeasy speed test)down and 2 Mb up. If I add the router back into the mix I only see 10Mb down and the same 2Mb up.

This is an old router and I'm assuming the Internet port is only 10 Mb or the router itself can't process faster than that.

Can anyone recommend an *inexpensive* home router that will let me take advantage of my full ISP speed?

(Wireless is not important - I just need a 100 Mb switch and faster Internet link.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Thanks. Gives me a starting point.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back