Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router blocks some webpages

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidPaul

Programmer
Jun 24, 2000
GB
Since I got a new router (Linksys BEFSR41 10/100 4-Port Switch/Router) to use with my cable modem I have found that some webpages no longer work, such as yet they all still work if I use dial-up instead. There are no features in the Router setup program to be able to add/remove blocked websites so it sounds like it must be something used on the webpage.

Does anybody have any suggestions how to sort the problem out?? As i use a lot and no longer have access to it.

Thanks,

David G. Paul

I doubt that the Linksys is the problem. I have one as well and have never seen this.

Consider the possibility that it is a problem with your network config on your PC. Keep in mind that you have separate network settings when you connect via modem or via ethernet. When you connect via modem you should be assigned an IP address, DNS, etc. from your ISP. This is a protocol called IPCP (or NCP) and works similar to DHCP on your ethernet side.

Make sure your network settings are correct for your TCP/IP on the Ethernet card (IP Address, Default Gateway, DNS, WINS, etc.)

Also do you have a firewall or filters on your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back