Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router 2505

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreesiaCat

Technical User
Jul 23, 2001
HK
I wonder if anybody has the experience in using CISCO router 2505. I'm configurating two CISCO routers 2505 and hope that their ethernet can recognize each other. The followings are what I've done so far (same configuration for the routers):

- Switch them on. Both ethernets are connected to the same hub.
- Give them hostnames (Abby and BigBird) and enable passwords.
- Open the ethernet hubs (FYI, the router 2505 has 3 interfaces: e0, s0 and s1. However, for ethernet it has 8 ethernet ports which in CISCO term their names are ethernet hubs) by stating no shut and no link-test on the ethernet hubs. I actually don't know if this is the right way but this is the only way I can find that the hubs will be stated as up when I type "sh hub".
- Open the interfaces by "no shut". Give the IP to the interfaces:
For Abby:
e0: 197.100.105.2
s0: 197.100.103.2
s1: 197.100.104.2
For BigBird:
e0: 197.100.100.1
s0: 197.100.101.1
s1: 197.100.102.1
Subnet masks are all 255.255.255.0
- Now when I use "sh ip route", I will see the routers are directly connected to their ethernet interfaces.
- Add static route to make sure they can see each other's serial interfaces:
e.g. ip route 197.100.103.2 255.255.255.0 197.100.105.2
- When see from "sh ip route", it doesn't show the static routes, which I think it should be shown.
- Enable IGRP. But again when I use "sh ip route" it doesn't show any IGRP achieved route.
- Set up a access-list which permit any IP to get through.

Problem is, I still cannot get them talking to each other. I wonder if I've missed any step etc or there're some special way to config Router 2505 which I don't know about it. May anyone help me with this? Thanks a lot.

Hiya freesia,

I think I've spotted your problem. If you want to connect two interfaces, they must be on the same network. Your numbering schemes have them on seperate networks- without another router inbetween, they won't speak to each other. I guess your routers are picking each other up via CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol). I MAY BE WRONG! ;)

My config of your s0 interfaces would be:

Abby 197.100.103.2/24

BigBird 197.100.103.1/24

....and so on for the other interfaces.

If you have problems configuring your routers, try the ConfigMaker by Cisco.It's very user-friendly and it'll validate your addressing before you start pulling your hair out (I know how that feels!)

You can download it at:
Hope that helps,

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back