Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Router 1 ADSL -> Router 2 ADSL connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverhairb

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2008
US
In considering various types of interconnectivity between two routers in a lab, is it possible to connect a DSL port in one router to the DSL port in a second router using 1 x WIC-1ADSL in each router?

If so, could the pretty lavender DSL over POTS cable from Cisco work or do I need to build a "crossover cable" swapping the two conductors pin-outs?

[the other] Bill

I think the answer to that would be yes but with the WIC-1SHADSL-V2 card but wait for the Pros to respond...

"...G.shdsl technology allows customers to link two Cisco 2600/3700s with WIC-1SHDSL-V2 cards back-to-back over standard 26 AWG telephone wire and provide up to 4.6-Mbps WAN connectivity between the two sites..."

2 Wire T1/E1 Back-to-Back compatible routers with WIC-1SHDSL-V2
•Cisco 1721

•Cisco 1751

•Cisco 1760

•Cisco 26xxXM

And finally a configuration example..

Note that the WIC-1ADSL and the WIC-1SHDSL-V1/V3 do not list back-to-back configs available...

Hoe this helps!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

WIC-1SHDSL-V2
Correction! Sorry!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I would think no, since a DSLAM is needed, but perhaps I am wrong. Never thought of that. You don't want to fry the MoBo or the daughter card, though...

Burt

Perhaps you could email the individuals selling the lab listed in the link above and ask them what the configuration will look like and if a DSLAM is needed. They do not have one listed in their kit!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

I was talking about Asynch DSL, not Single PAir High Speed---with the single p[air of wires, XMIT and RCV, yes, it is possible. Bill was asking about the WIC-1ADSL though. The answer is still no, as far as I can tell...
A "CAB-ETHXOVER" is a regular ethernet crossover---the shdsl has an RJ-11 input, I believe...could be wrong (believe it or not...lol).

Burt

Yes, I was asking about connecting two routers together over ADSL using 1 x WIC-1ADSL cards in each router. I can't seem to find any back-to-back connection info.

Reason for this is to be able to use these routers for practical purposes after being used in the lab.

[the other] Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back