Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ROUTEING AN IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamWhitehouse

Programmer
Aug 7, 2000
GB
This is probably a silly question but my knowledge on networking is limited, how do I access a computer within an external network, ie; my work computer sits on a network which has a common internet ip, so all 30 computers are seen over the internet as the same, but each computer has a unique ip within the network. I am running a PLC on a machine within a customers premises, the PLC sits on their network and I am required to make adjustments when required.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

Just a shot, I would use VNC (UltraVNC and RealVNC are Windows server/client versions, tightVNC for linux, OSX has a VNC client natively. Vine server is for OSX) making your PLC machine a server and choosing a port it looks at, then forwarding that port to the IP of the PLC machine. With a VNC client you should aim at the client's public IP and the port you forwarded. 123.123.123.123::6912 as an example

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

To expand on Jimbo's suggestion...

I think you're talking about a Programmable Logic Controller and if so you can't use VNC to remotetly control it. What you need to do is have one PC running on their network that you can VNC to and remotely control. On that PC load the communication software that talks to the PLC.

So, from home (or wherever you happen to be) you would connect to the PC at their shop. Then, from that PC, fire up your PLC software and go to it.

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back