Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Route to CCNA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolGuy077

Programmer
Oct 7, 2003
US
Hi,
I plan to take CCNA in coming Months. I have few question

1. Is it still OK to take 640-607 instead of the new exam.
2. Do I require to buy routers or is simulation lab enough to pass the exam.
3. How much time is required to prepare given the fact that I have basic networking knowledge & awareness about TCP/IP.
4. Which is better reference Sybex or Cisco Press.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank
CG

Hey CG,

1. No, I think you need the newer comp exam 640-801?? Or it can be taken as two seperate exams?
2. I think you can pass the CCNA with simulation labs, equipment would be helpful, but not necessary...if you want to continue on to CCNP then it would be a good idea to get your hands on a lab setup. You can always rent online racktime too.
3. If you have basic TCP/IP knowledge...including mastery of subnetting....I'd think that within a month or two you could be ready for the exam... all depends how much time you have to devote to study.
4. Personally I use the Cisco Press....in addition to Boson tests, they seem to work good for me. I've never used Sybex.

1) The 607 is no longer valid. You do have to take the 801, and as said above you can take 2 separate exams to cover the CCNA now.
2) Require no. Recommend absolutely. Not only will real equipment prepare you better for the exam, but you will learn the material better, instead of just lerning whats on an exam.
3) It depends of course, but you need to know subnetting in, out, and all about. Routr commands and subnetting make up about 80% of the exam.
4) The Cisco press is better for complete knowledge, but Sybex is better for knowing exactly what's on the exam.

Tiremd & jdel,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I checked Cisco & indeed 607 is no longer valid.

I had one more question, What all equipment should I get. Are two router enough. What other hardware may be needed.

Thanks in Advance.
CG

This came from another thread in here - dogbert makes great suggestions.

dogbert2 (TechnicalUser) Nov 3, 2003
well, a ideal lab would (in my opinion) consist of a pair of 2501's, one 4000M/4500M/4700M (with 2 Ethernet, 4 serial ports), and a 1912/1924 switch with cables for all gear (better to get 3-6 ft crossover DB-60's to hook the serials together, kg2.com is a good place for cables, IMO).

The 4000M/4500M/4700M can also serve as a x.25/FR switch with the proper configuration files loaded (cisco.com has examples). If you get good IOS images as well and max out the ram in your gear, you'll have enuf to pass CCNA + BSCI (CCNP Routing Exam).

As you advance, you can always add more gear to your lab.

A nice piece of equipment to get your hands on (it costs, however) is a Adtran 550 with Frame Relay module, POTS module, and ISDN module (which allows you to do all of the Remote Access stuff for CCNP), but the base unit on ebay is about $1200 w/no modules).

Just my 2 cents worth :)

I found the SYBEX book to be very good. I have both CISCO and SYBEX. Know subnetting backwords and switches. Get the latest book for the test, things have been migrated down from CCNP test and added into CCNA.

With the multiple answer questions, any practice test would help with what they are looking for.

You can pass CCNA without router practice, but it helps. Switch questions are soon going to require 2900's, so you may look into one and not a 1900.

many router etc.. on ebay.

Dave
CCNA, CCAI

I passed the CCNA exam back in 2000 with quite literally only one week of hands-on experience in an ICND class.

Nowadays, however, you have the simulation questions and I rather think that if I tried passing the exam again with no hands on I would probably fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back