Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Route specific webpages via a different gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghosking

Technical User
Nov 8, 2002
GB
Hi, I am not a networking expert so if the solution is obvious please bear with me!

Several users require internet access all day and every day in order to do their job. Internet access is normally provided by our proxy server via a wan link. We have put in a adsl broadband line to act as a backup, the broadband router is on the same network and can be pinged ok from the pc. We want the user to be able to untick the proxy setting in IE and internet traffic to head down the broadband link automatically in the event of a wan link failure. Whats the best way of forcing webtraffic to use the adsl conection. Currently if the proxy server details are unticked in IE then the pc routes traffic to the default gateway not the broadband link. My thoughts are a static route entry but will that work with http traffic and how should the entry be made?

Many thanks
G Hosking

It can be done with statics yes - only problems are:-

It's a pain
If a site has multiple IPs (eg google) you must make sure you've got them all.

Another way if you have the patience is with route maps so you can forward specific machines internally and change their default gateway based on rules.. in fact there's a fuew weird and wonderful things route maps can do have a google.

The only other suggestion is a redirect on the proxy for those sites? I'm not a proxy expert so obviously that may be tosh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back