Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Route add permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlazlo

MIS
Oct 3, 2001
US
Where/how do I add a static route i.e. route add 192.x.x.x 10.x.x.x so that on reboot it either is still in place or re-added on start up? This is on an OpenServer 5.0.6 server. Thanks in advance.

How do I set a default route or other static routes?
faq58-1436
Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

The first part of this FAQ states that if adding a default static route do this... I am not adding a "Gateway" and the file "/etc/default/tcp" has a parameter list of values like "Gateway". How would I add a plain route add "point A" "point B" to this file. The next section talks about a file for v5.0.5 or v5.0.4 called "/usr/internet/etc/sco_ip/routes". This file does not exist on our system. The last section talks about pre v5.0.4 about adding a new file called "/etc/rc2.d/S99route" and add the actual "route add ..." command to it.
I have v5.0.6 again, what is the best way to add a static non-default route to this box????

vi /etc/rc2.d/S99route

add a line to the file
/etc/route add default 10.xx.xx.xx

Driftwood, please read the faq, and please read the REST of the thread before you respond.
Tony Lawrence

Tony,
I'm glad you said it not me. I have taken your advice and added the S99route file. I can't restart this server, so I will find out whether or not it works the next time this server restarts.
Thanks.

I'm just getting tired of people who know the answer (or THINK they do in this case) and jump to the bottom to type in their answer without reading what has already been written.

I'm resigned to the fact that nobody reads faqs until they are pointed to them, but there is NO excuse for not reading the rest of a thread.

Tony Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back