Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ROTATE WINDOWS DESKTOP 90 DEGREES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majestyk

Technical User
Mar 31, 2001
US
I need a small app that will rotate the windows desktop
90 degrees. Seems fairly simple but I can't seem to
find a way to do this. I want to be able to run apps
without them reorienting the screen back to normal.

Any help?

-Maj

Implicit in almost every question is a reason for asking the question. From your question, I wasn't able to determine the circumstances that would require you to rotate the desktop. Without more information about your (certainly unique) requirements, I can only suggest the obvious solutions:

1) Lay your monitor on its side.

- Or, programmatically -

2)
Code:
M$ = "Tilt your head to the side." & vbCrlf
   M$ = M$ & "Click Ok when finished."
   MsgBox M$

I'm really not being sarcastic or frivolous. You have asked a question that is way beyond the scope of the VB version 5 & 6 forum (probably better to ask the experts in the Assembly forum). I guess my point is that there is probably a way to do this but you aren't going to get anybody to give it much thought unless to explain why you need to rotate the desktop.

You could capture the screen to a bitmap and rotate the bitmap before displaying it. This would be much easier than rotating the actual desktop. When a user double-clicks on a portion of the bitmap you could send a message to application associated with the icon located on the area of the desktop corresponding to the area clicked on the rotated bitmap... but what would you do when the user opened an instance of Microsoft Word and you had to program your app to intercept all of the mouse and keyboard events, translating Xs into Ys and Ys into Xs, to allow the user to type sideways? And wouldn't the user become more than a little annoyed at being forced to tilt his head or lay the monitor on its side in order to use his computer?

Yes, this would be a much easier solution. You would only have to find a way to intercept every Windows event and translate it into a form guaranteed to aggravate the user.

Going back to your original question: "I need a small app that will rotate the windows desktop 90 degrees." The SMALL part just isn't going to happen.
VCA.gif

Alt I like 1). Someone used to make a monitor that rotated (radius possibly). It was mostly for people doing dtp and when rotated changed from portrait to landscape. Good idea actually because you get a screen that looks like the bit of paper you are supposed to be typing on. What is amazing is that what people think should be terribly easy is generally either hard or impossible, and what they think is terribly hard is a piece of cake. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

Hey, I was trying to do the same thing. That way I could read e-books on a laptop in poitrait. -God Bless

I just puchased an LCD flat screen for my desktop which is rotateable. The software came with it and it works great especially for programming and web viewing in portrait mode.

It is called Pivot Pro but I don't know if it is available seperate from the monitor.

David Abineri

ALT255:

You sure used a lot of words to say pretty much nothing. lol
The monitor will be sitting on it's BACK facing upwards.
I need the application I'm running to be viewed in full
page mode. That is it. You shouldn't need more info than
that.

Tilting ones head or turning the monitor on it's side will
not accomplish this. That's just plain silly.

I have used Pivot but it has popups that appear on the
screen and I don't want anything like that. Plus I don't
want to pay $40.00 for it when I know someone has written
a similar app somewhere that does the same thing.
I did find a small 107k program that is kind of a joke program in that it randomly flips your screen around from 90 degrees to 180. but it is a novelty program that does not allow you to choose which way or when to do it. It just does it at random to annoy the user.
So at 107k, I'm sure that there is something similar which
will allow me to choose which way to rotate. Seems fairly
straitforward to me.

Tilt your head... Oh geeze. And I though this was for tech help. lol

-Maj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back