Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rosieb - Citrix Troubleshooting Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelseaGirl

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
GB
This is a reply to a query raised by a TekTiper in another forum (well in the pub actually) that I thought might be useful.

Basically the're having problems with an App, and key strokes and key input. I suspect it may have something to do with setting up "speed screen latancy" see link for description of SSL
As we have a good network, I have turned this off. But thought the following would be of use in trying to track down the problem, if it's not SSL.

I'm running NT 4 TSE service pack 6 with Metaframe 1.8, but this should be applicable to all flavours.

When you user connects to a published app on the server, they will get an ica icon on their tool bar, click on the icon to display which server they are connected to. Does the problem always happen on the same server ? One thing that I've done is to publish the app e.g. "notepad" to the users so that it will run on any server, then I have published the app on individual servers so that it will only run on that server e.g. "notepad on server1" "notepad on server2" etc that way support staff can run the app and connect directly to a specfic server.

Which Network protocol are you using ? I've disabled RDP on the Servers so that only ICA is used. In the Citrix Program Niegbourhood, (on the client PC) under connection, you can select the Protocol, that's right for your Network. Under Default Options you'll find a selection box for "queue mouse movements and keystrokes" see if that makes a difference. - If it's just one or two users, check thier Niegbourhood setting against someone that it's working for, they may have been fiddling....Though most setting can be overriden by the Server and/or the profile (User Manager for domains).

When publishing an app, I have turned off all the fancy bits e.g. sound and video.

If the problem is only happening to one or two users you may find it useful to delete thier profiles from the server (if they are "roaming profiles", I think they should be deleted automatically). As we don't use roaming profiles (reasons I'm not going to go into here), I have found that if the servers "C Drive" (can get renamed in the Citrix install) has less that about 200MG that profiles will not be created properly - without a warning.

You can also set up a different profile and home path for use with TSE/Citrix, under User Manager for Domains (know nothing of Active directory), under profiles.

You could get your guys to reinstall the app, making sure they have the server in "install" mode.

Has the app been written to run on TSE ? (if it's a microsoft app then you should be OK). I know it's a stupid question, but you'd be surprised !

This does not in anyway cover what could be going wrong, but might a useful starting point.

ChelseaGirl

Thanks

I'll track down our Citrix person and get him to go thru this - it's a bit over my head.

Rosie

I know I'm not RosieB, but must correct a few bits here;

1. SSL does not stand for Speed Screen Latency! It stands for Secure Sockets Layer, and refers to a method of encryption.

The issue that you refer to could be one of a different kind of latency - if the connection is dialup/WAN, then switching on SpeedScreen or using the Zero-Latecy tool will help.

2. MetaFrame only uses ICA - disabling RDP will just stop anyone connecting using the Microsoft RDP client, it won't speed anything up.

Otherwise some useful tips :)

SSL, Oh well it is Friday..... at least I linked to what I meant :¬P

As a general rule I switch off everything that is not going to used explicity.

CitrixEngineer

All contributions gratefully recieved.

Background - I'm supporting some Access databases which have been moved to a Citrix environment. Any and all problems are passed to me as a database problem... I know less than zero about Citrix (hence my frustration.

[smile]

Some users are complaining that the cursor takes ages to stabilise in each text box (up to 2 minutes in the worst case, so if they are entering 3 items, they have 6 minutes to wait!). The cursor flickers and no data can be entered.

Just to confuse the issue, it appears that if they load Outlook before Access the problem disappears for at least one of the databases.

To further muddy the waters, the Citrix servers are running Office XP alongside Access 97.

(To be perfectly honest, I think this is probably a self-inflicted problem.)

Rosie

With some Microsoft Apps pre Office 2000 you have to run the/an application compatability scripts on the server.

for a explaination of what they are......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back