Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rootvg space problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

randym

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
US
I have two 7026-H70's, 1.5g memory, with mirrored 4.5g internal drives that hold rootvg with AIX432 and Oracle805 installed. My database is stored on an external SSA raid array that is passed between nodes in our HACMP cluster. The internal scsi drives have less than 700m unallocated. My only paging space (hd6) is 1232m on rootvg. I am looking to increase the memory and paging space as well as install a couple of other products (storix, legato, & Oracle components) and would like to keep them on the internal drives of each machine. I also expect to need some space on rootvg to upgrade to a newer release of AIX sometime soon. My question is 1) do I add two 4.5g drives to rootvg with extendvg and then mirror them (giving me 9g total space on rootvg) or, 2) add two 4.5g drives and create a second vg or, 3) replace the 4.5g drives with two mirrored 9.1g or 18.2g drives making rootvg larger? Other than the cost factor would any of these scenarios be any better than the others?

It's pretty much your choice, but bear one thing in mind - ideally rootvg should contain only OS stuff - as opposed to applications and their data.

One advantage of this is that mksysb times (backup / restore) will be improved.

Cheers.
Dave V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back