Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rootvg mirroring

Status
Not open for further replies.

castlecomer

Technical User
Sep 18, 2006
GB
A couple of times now I have mirrored rootvg using the mirrorvg command and individually mirroring each logical volume. All seems to go well, I modify the bootlist to include the new disk, set quorum off and issue the bosboot command to create the boot record on on the disk. However, when the machine is rebooted it hangs with "Aix is starting" displayed on the operator panel. I can bring the server up in maintenence mode mount the rootvg without problems. I have fsck'd the filesystems, checked the bootlis and rerun the bosboot command but the server still hangs upon reboot. Only way round this is to reinstall from mksysb. Has anyone else come across this problem? The machine is a p520 running AIX 5.2 ML 04

Can you post the commands used, I normally do the following

extendvg rootvg hdisk1
mirrorvg rootvg
bootlist -o -m normal
bootlist -m normal hdisk0 hdisk1
bosboot -ad hdisk0
bosboot -ad hdisk1

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

5.2 ML4 was a nightmare, ML5 wasn't much better, I'd go to at least ML6 if possible go to ML8.

commands used :-

extendvg rootvg hdisk1
mirrorvg rootvg hdisk1
bootlist -m normal hdisk0 hdisk1
bosboot -ad hdisk0
bosboot -ad hdisk1

does bosboot -ad /dev/ipldevice work OK?

What do you get from lslv -m hd5, it should have 1 logical partition as

0001 0502 hdisk0 0494 hdisk1

If you have more than 1 LP they must be concurrent.

Take a look at this it may help.

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

5.2 ML04 is the only level of AIX to ever go beyond the 5.2.0.4x level of fileset (ie to 5.2.0.5x) within the same ML because they had so many problems.

It is the minimum requirement AIX level for p5xx.

p5 was new and so many problems were discovered they obviously had so many updates they ran out of numbers for the fileset levels, and the biggest problems were in the LVM area.

I doubt you will ever get this to work at ML04.

As you have a good mksysb, upgrade the working disk to ML08 and then try again.

Oh, and update the system firmware first....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back