Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rooter Not Finding WAN IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

moveit

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
GB
I have two computers linked via a rooter. I have broadband, which originally came from my set-top box that supplies the cable TV. I now have the broadband on a separate cable with modem. My problem is, when I switch everything on at once, my rooter does not pick up the WAN IP Address. I have to switch it off and on again for it to find the IP address. The only thing that is now different is the modem was on all the time with the set-top box. Now it is only activated when I switch everything on at once.
Is there a way round not having to unplug the rooter and re-plug it? I find this difficult as I am disabled and having to keep bending down to do this is not easy. Any help appreciated.

Try "ipconfig /renew " command from the command window or run the command from START button.

Sorry haviv512. I tried your suggestion but the router did not reset itself. I feel there must be a way of sending a message from one of the computers to tell it to reset the settings.

i had a similar problem, and believe it or not updating the router firmware solved it!

if that doesnt work log onto the router and release/renew the IP (im assuming this is possible with your router)

good luck!

If somethings hard to do, its not worth doing - Homer Simpson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
To get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first
A General Guide To Excel in VB FAQ222-3383

Thanks ADoozer. The release/renew did the trick.

gah! shouldnt have jinxed myself!

one of my machines (2k pro) has decided that it requires the router being reset when it is booted!

if i do an ipconfig i get a completely random IP address (since its not actually connecting to net i see no harm in posting the ip [169.254.67.175]) and the subnet mask changes from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0 (NB con spec DNS suffix is blank as is the default gateway)

if i do an ipconfig /release i get the following error

all adapters bound to DHCP do not have DHCP addresses. The addresses were auto configured and cannot be released

if i try an ipconfig /renew i get error

error ocured renewing adapter local area network. DHCP server unavailable?!?

as for my suggestion of release/renewing in the router (from another box since i cant connect to the router from 2k) this does not work.

now booting from other boxes (98 98SE and XP) gets connected up straight away.

anybody any thoughts? (Virus?! Setting somewhere?!)

thnx in advance!

anybody suffering symptoms mentioned in my last post...

see thread602-741315

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back