Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Root switch port learning state ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhut

Technical User
Mar 7, 2007
US
I found a question saying, when a new root is elected, say, as a result of changing the current root priority to something high, (some of) the new root ports have to be in learning state first.(!!?) Is this true? The simulator is really bad with switches.

it will take about 50 sec. for the port to go to fwd state.

rmcp2k inadvertently brings up an excellent point! 50 seconds - 20 of which is waiting for max age to expire. And, while waiting, it won't be in listening mode, it will be blocking.

I was talkin about the root bridge, the new root bridge to be exact, who's gona generate BPDUs if the root bridge itself has to be in listening/learning mode first?!! I have a feeling this is more like a subject for CCNP, there ought to be in-depth chapters on this somewhere

CCNA wannabe:)

It still listens for BPDU's when in listening and learning modes. In fact, that's kind of the point. But, as you say, this is CCNP stuff.

thank you CiscoGuy
oh and, I got it:). 934 and I'm happy with it. I had this question about an access-list, and I just skipped it, cos I only had 30 minutes left and 20 questions:O. I'm pretty sure under normal circumstances, no exam stress that is, that would have been easy to deal with, it's just that, on the test, you never know when there's a trick or just a really easy question, so you tend to be very careful about it

fresh CCNA

darkhut,

Congrats!! It is a GREAT feeling when that passed screen comes up at the end :)

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

hmm, I don't remember a passed screen, but oh well, I was kind of secure about passing, the questions really seemed easier than the first time, putting some work into it really pays off:) oh, and it also helps to uninstall Counter-Strike from the computer!

fresh CCNA

Darkhut,

When you are done with a Cisco exam it pops up with some kind of congrats screen that you have passed ...... blah blah and blah

And then you pick up your score that is printed out and certified by the test center!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

oh, I think i finished 10 minutes earlier, and the computer didn't display that, instead, it showed a little window with two buttons, "Continue" (to what?) and "Help", so I guess I missed that:)

fresh CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back