Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Root servers reappearing in Windows 2000 DNS Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

ommer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2002
NL
All,

I'm having a little problem with my windows 2000 dns service. I'm running a Windows 2000 Network with a couple of domain controllers, and running ad integrated dns. I have forwarders set up for external dns queries, and removed the root servers from the dns service.

The problem is dat the root servers keep coming back in my dns server ! No matter how much times I remove 'm, they keep coming back. Does any1 know how to permanently remove the root servers from the dns server?

Thanks in advance,

Ommer

I could be wrong, (feel free to correct me), but the root list should be a cache taken from your forwarded DNS server in order to save requests and time while resolving addresses. If you delete it, it will just get the list again from the forwarder.

Besides... why would you want to remove it? Are you having DNS trouble?

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Thanks for your reply. I've checked, but the root servers arent' in there.

I want to remove them because I've blocked the internal dns servers so they can't connect to the internet for safety purposes, but every time one of the internal dns servers cannot resolve an address (for instance an internet address) it tries to send a query to the root servers (which is being blocked by the firewall) and only after a while forwards it to the forwarder, which causes some requests to time out.

regards,

Ommer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back