Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Root Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimSalus

Technical User
Mar 27, 2001
US
I jsut got a call from a friend in Europe who has an HP UX machine and no root pasword. We have direct access to the machine but I am not certain if the CD's are there or not. This is an old company that was bought out and all kinds os password and CD are gone. How can we change the password on the machine. Reboot is no problem. Please help with this

HP-UX version 10.20

I believe in HP-UX, you can bring it down to single user mode and edit the /etc/passwd file directly. However if the HP machine was running in "trusted" mode, this will not work. I believe in trusted, it will require the root passwd to get into single user mode. But otherwise you should be able to do a reboot and boot into single user to edit the /etc/passwd file.

crowe

Boot system in to single user mode
1. stop boot sequence by pressing any key.
2. at command prompt type "sea" for searching bootable devices
3. use p0 or p1 depanding upon your path
bo po -is
4. if it ask that you want to go to ipl say yes
5. then at ipl prmpt type hpux -is
6. mount /sbin /var manually using mount /var and mount /sbin command
7. may be it requires fsck manually then do so.

8. change password by typing passwd command or just wipe out password from /etc/passwd file as crowe says.

Patel

You can bring the system down to single user mode and type the following:

passwd root

This should allow you to change the password. Hope this helps.

When you get into single user you might have to perform a /usr/bin/tsconvert due to the machine is in trusted mode

This is the procedure that I was given to use on C360s here at my daily saltmine for trusted systems that have been f***ed. If it has been set to secure mode then yank the hard disc, the boot will fail to the IODC where you can turn secure mode off. So far I haven't had to use it on the trusted systems, a word of warning though, the previous sys admin guru said that converting from trusted to standard MAY cause problems with some files. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!

Power Up system, stop boot at IODC
At the IODC enter BOOT
At prompt interact with ISL? YES
Run HP-UX in single user mode hpux -is
Mount all volumes mount -a
Convert to standard security/etc/tsconvert -r
Edit password file /etc/passwd vi /etc/passwd
Clear root password (field 2)
Save changes :wq!
Set system level init 3
Set Root password
Set system to trusted pwconv if necessary