Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

root partition is getting full, help- moving it to another partition 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifxtechie

Technical User
Dec 22, 2000
US
Hi,
My root partition is getting full unknowingly. Is there anyway of moving it to a larger disk-space partition
because of this I am unable to boot the box and the screen just flickers
Pls help me !
thanks in advance
partha
Parthasarathy, Hassan

How are your partitions labeled???
just
/
or
/, /etc, /home, ..............

Can you get a login prompt??

If not, type: linux 1
at the lilo prompt. Assuming you use lilo, this will drop you into single user mode. You should get a login prompt and be able to move the files by hand.

Hi,

The only directories you must have in the root partition are as follows :

/
/bin
/dev
/etc
/lib
/sbin

So, depending on your existing partitioning arrangements you can move things like /var, /usr, /home to physically separate partitions, preferably on other disks. If you have the hardware, you can back up your root partition to tape, plug in a new drive with suitably sized partitions and restore from tape onto the new drive. Then swap the new drive for the old one (you might need a boot floppy to cover the lilo side - i.e. boot from floppy then install the boot loader in mbr or partition as appropriate).

As a first action you might like to look in /var/log and its subdirectories to see if there are any unwanted log files you can dump to free up space.

Regards

hi, i m having the same problem as hassan, but after i remove some big files, the problem unable to get into the GUI box and the screen is still flicking.

What can i do?

yihua

I've got a collateral question for you: on RedHat 8, my root partition completely filled. I deleted some temp files, but df still reports the following:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 7925051 7538972 0 100% /
/dev/hdc1 8583124 5803877 2334167 72% /usr/local
/dev/hdd5 14771944 8252272 5769296 59% /opt
none 256532 0 256532 0% /dev/shm
none 256532 0 256532 0% /dev/shm

Note the used vs. available stats for the root partition. It would appear that the partition has been locked out somehow. I thought it might have been a problem with journaling, as the partition is formatted ext3. I followed the instructions in another thread for removing/re-building the journal, but get the same condition.

The only reason that I'm able to post this is because I've 'touch'ed the necessary log and temporary files for XFree86/Gnome startup. Can anyone give some insight as to why this lockout is happening and how to clear it?

Thanks.

RGamboa, I don't know what you mean by 'lockout' but a file will never be deleted as long as there is an open file handle on it.
You have to close the process that uses the file and then delete it.

Hope it helps.

Cheers Henrik Morsing
IBM Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back