Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

root login for Oracle instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

timjarland

Technical User
Feb 21, 2001
US
I have an Oracle 8.0.5 db running on an HP-UX 11 platform. I have two instances running. I am trying to create another instance in the same database using an HP Network Node Manager creation script. The script must be run as root. The script is never successful and one error message is that there is an invalid logon/password. The only thing that seems strange to me with the Oracle db is when I have the oracle_sid exported to any of the instances, I can connect with no password while logged in under oracle. If I am logged in under root, it asks for a password that I've never set. TIA.

I bet if you look under Security, you will have an account for the Oracle login that is something like "OPS$ORACLE". This is an operating system authenticated account. Basically, Oracle says if the operating system let you in, I will let you in. If you need this sort of account for the root, you will need to create it in Oracle and tell it that instead of having password authentication, it can use the operating system as authentication.

Hope that helps... Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com
While I don't mind e-mail messages, please post all questions in these forums for the benefit of all members.

Thanks Terry. Sounds like I'll have to wait for my dba to get back and create that account for me. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back