Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Root filesystem Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhager

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2000
US
i am getting a the following root file system error when running fsck:<br>&quot;Danger:&nbsp;&nbsp;Filesystem being checked is larger than the device in which it is stored (/dev/root).&nbsp;&nbsp;Backup filesystem and recreate as soon as possible.&quot;<br>I get this error no matter what flag i use on fsck.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>I know what is causing the error.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is a corrupt file (main.dt) that is sized bigger than the whole file system.&nbsp;&nbsp;Does anyone know how to fix this?&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks in advance.<br><br>

First thing - before doing <b>anything</b> make sure you have a recent backup of the root filesystem that you can turn to if things go disastrously wrong.&nbsp;&nbsp;Preferably, the backup should be from before <FONT FACE=monospace>main.dt</font> appeared.<br><br>Where did <FONT FACE=monospace>main.dt</font> come from?&nbsp;&nbsp;It's worth finding that out before doing anything else so that you can stop it from coming back again.<br><br>Finally, do you need to keep a copy of main.dt?&nbsp;&nbsp;If you do, archive it off to tape, then login as <FONT FACE=monospace>root</font> and delete <FONT FACE=monospace>main.dt</font>.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then, <FONT FACE=monospace>fsck</font> your root filesystem.&nbsp;&nbsp;Hopefully, everything should be OK then.<br><br>And just to repeat - make sure you have a recent, pre-main.dt backup of the root file system before doing anything.&nbsp;&nbsp;I can only advise what you might do, you need to decide if you want to delete main.dt.<br><br>Good luck!

the main.dt file is a file used for the preferences of the gui environment. i believe it became corrupt and mis-sized when someone accidentally did an edge restore into the root file system.&nbsp;&nbsp;so i think i will try your method.&nbsp;&nbsp;thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back