Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rookie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

drees

Technical User
Oct 5, 2001
US
Okay I've read the other threads and some relect my question but none hit it exactly. First of all we are using Exchange 2000. We just moved ISP's and have changed our network setup. We went from a T1 to a DSL connection. With the DSL we are providing our own firewall that is connected between the router and the switch. With the T1 our firewall was provided for us. Our problem is that we can send email with no problem but we can't receive them. I'm not sure whether it is a MX record, Smpt, or virtual server that is the problem. Please advise.

Drees

smtp test - telnet to the server while inside the firewall. (search this forum for telnet and you'll find my notes on it somewhere).
firewall test - telnet to the server from outside the firewall using the live ip address.
dns test - telnet to the server using the fqdn.
mx record test - check samspade.org and see if the mx record for your domain has the correct ip address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back