Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rookie question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1car

Technical User
Apr 2, 2001
US
Hello all,

I’m coming from a QBX/PDS 7.0 environment to VB5 and I would like some input about VB6. Is it worth the investment over VB5, and if so what does (VB6) it offer over VB5, or should I just forget this idea and wait for VB.NET?

Thank you.

I use VB5 at work and VB6 at home for consultant gigs. There really isn't enough in way of benefits in VB6 to invest the extra money. The differences are fairly minor, although the ability to look into databases while debugging is a big advantage. Other differences are minor, such as the ability to use the SPLIT function to parse strings.
VB.Net, in my opinion is worth the wait, and I highly reccomend getting the BETA version (for free from Microsoft) to get familiar with it. With your background it would probably be easier for you to learn VB.net than VB5/6 being that it is highly object oriented.

Good luck Joseph Logan
jlogan@softsource.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back