Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rookie GPO question with WSUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nja5150

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
I'm running server 2003 with terminal services, active directory, and DNS installed.

I've confirmed the DNS portion is working properly from the client XP machines.

My active directory is setup as follows:

Forest: mb.s
Domains
mb.s ->Default Domain Policy <block inheritance>

(Domain Controllers) -> Default Domain Conrollers
Policy <block inheritance>
HUMMINGBIRD (computer)
(Managers) -> WSUS GP
MOCKINGBIRD (computer)
PARROT (computer)
John (user)
Ryan (user)

....continued....

I am TRYING to push Windows updates to the XP clients from this server using WSUS. I decided to test in the "Managers" OU. I created the "WSUS GP" GPO containing all the settings I wanted to apply to the objects within the "Managers" container.

These changes DO WORK when I log in a terminal services session using one of the accounts within "managers"

They DON'T WORK when I log into the domain from an XP client -- use MOCKINGBIRD for example. I would like them to work on the XP clients as well.

Maybe I am not using active directory and GPO's appropriately? The WSUS documentation for setting up a client seems to indicate that I can do this without visiting each and every client locally one by one.

Essentially what I am trying to do is set WSUS configuration defaults at the XP local machine. I can do this manually on an XP client. I open a console root, add the "Group Policy Object Editor" snap in for the local machine, then edit the "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Windows Update".

I am HOPING I don't have to do this manually for each and every XP client.

I've tried applying the GPO to computers as well as user accounts. I've tried experimenting with the inheritance settings. I'm stumped.

It's important to note - I can't seem to get ANY results on the XP client end I have attempted by testing and modifying the GPO's. This issue isn't just with the WSUS GPO policy I created. I've tried setting say "remove windows update links" from the task bar on the GPO. This doesn't take effect when logging in to the domain from an XP client.

Thanks for any help / insight on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back