Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rolling OLAP ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimd1024

MIS
Nov 24, 2000
US
As I understand this, rolling OLAP means an efficient
way of rolling new data into an OLAP cube and old
data out

Does anyone know where I could read about this,
or see it addressed as a question / issue ?

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,
Rolling OLAP is making the data available at detail level to aggregated level.
For example if you load your data warehouse with data pertaining to a week then its aggregation must be available at week, month, quarter, and year. This aggregation is achieved by rolling up.

I think Jim's question had a difference between 'rolling' and 'rolling up'. Viswanath S makes a good description of 'rolling up' but I believe that Jim means "how do I get new data into the cube without lengthy rebuild times?". This is the curse of MOLAP tools and the benefit of ROLAP. Personally, I went for a HOLAP implementation like Whitelight to get the best of both worlds. My home ----> My company ->

Within MS Analysis Services you have options to do other kinds of updates to the cube without rebuilding the whole cube, when your data gets updated...I think the options are:

Incremental update

Refresh data

Full Reprocess

Hope this helps

email: mike.wrobel@med.va.gov

I hope this is still on topic.

How can you update or reprocess a small cube at a regular interval.

I can schedule the reprocessing of the DTS package to reload the data warehouse, but cant find an easy way to reprocess the cube from that data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back