Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rolling Back Rights on Object

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdrtoona

Programmer
Aug 24, 2010
US
Hi all,
I have gotten myself in to a quandry. I went in to an object and altered the Everyone group rights to Deny edit and a whole lot of other things that I shouldn't have down. Now I want to remove the report but I can't because Everyone is controling my Admin group rights. Is there any way to remove the rights or a backdoor way to delete the report from the CMS?

Many thanks!

Hi,
It is a good idea never to use the 'Everyone' group for denial ( as you discovered, it also includes the Admin group).

Try when logged in as Administrator ( not just an account in the Admin group).

You can delete the physical report from the Input location shown in the CMS and live with the occasional 'file not found' erroR if someone tries to access that report.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Something to remember about how access rights work:

There are three types of access:
Granted
Denied
Not Specified

Not Specified is essentially the same thing as Denied. However, if a person has been assigned more than one level of access to something, Granted will always override Not Specified. However, NOTHING overrides Denied!

So, you'll want to edit the access for your Everyone group and change the Delete Object setting back to "Not Specified". This will effectively deny everyone access to delete. A person will only have delete rights if they are either assigned to a group that has been granted delete access or they are individually set up with delete access to a specific object.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back