Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rollback database to snapshot? How to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajhull

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2001
CA
One thing I have never had to do is take a snapshot of the database and roll the database back to the snapshot state after a day of activity. I have been asked to do this. There is a testing database and the teacher would like to roll the database back to a point in time apon request.

How do I go about this?

Thanks in advance.

Adrian
Certified DBA/Developer

Are we talking about a point in time restore here? BTW, not a good idea to mention your 'teacher' here - homework isn't allowed! In any case, why doesn't your 'teacher' teach you this?

Yes. A point in time restore. I am assuming that I would not have to backup the database to do this and I would just rollback to a specific timestamp.

Ah...the teacher of the class...not my teacher. I have been out of school for quite some time now. The teacher (instructor) is just a trainer at the company that trains other staff members.

Adrian
Certified DBA/Developer

'Rollback' isn't possible, afaik (stand to be corrected though!). The only way to do this is to work from a backup and roll forward using your archive logs - which I assume you have. If your databse isn't in archivelog mode, you can only go back to your last good backup. HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back