Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roles in frame work manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

binayr

Programmer
Jul 3, 2006
US
Can somebody explain me in general terms with example whats the meaning/use of sinessKey, memberCaption, memberDescription in framework manager. I have gone thru couple of times thru manual but its not clear to me.

Thanks
Ben

Hi,

Businesskey and Membercaption are roles allocated to attributes in the level of a Regular Dimension.

Consider a Products dimension, containing a hierarchy describing products, with the following levels:

AllProducts
Product Line
Product Type
Product

If you consider the lowest level (Product), it is made up of a series of members - each member is a different product. The usual data required to describe each product is a uinque identifier (Businesskey), and a descriptive value which can be displayed in the row/column headings of a report or analysis (MemberCaption). For example you would probably include the Product Code as the BusinessKey, and the Product Name as the MemberCaption. If you also have a data item containing a more lengthy description of each product, you could bring this in and set it as the MemberDescription attribute.

Later on in the studios, the BusinessKey attribute is used in the Member Unique Name (MUN) of each product member, and the MemberCaption is used in the row/column headings as the value displayed.

Hope that helps.

MF.

For me, ist clear how to give the roles to Members in the Frameworkmanager.
But i have Problems, using it in Report Studio.
e.g. I want to show MemberCaption an MemberDescription as to Colums of a List. In the first column I used the MemberCapition - it works fine, also with drillup / drilldown.
Now the second column got the function roleValue('_memberDescription'; ..First Column...) but it only sometimes works to show a value, it never works when I use drillup / drilldown.

Should I use this function or is there any better way ?

thanks,
gerd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back