Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Role service

Status
Not open for further replies.

moabiker31

Programmer
Nov 6, 2004
US
We're using the Asp.net membership to handle user authentication and role manager. The application has been working fine for several months but recently there's a single pc that never returns the user role from the role service. The function is GetRolesForCurrentUser. The traffic in Fiddler shows the app accessing the service successfully but the response is always blank. The pc is XP SP3 but there are other XP SP3 pc's that work fine. This pc doesn't allow anyone to login (it's not only 1 user) but all the other pc's are fine. This is a silverlight 5 application. Any ideas what could be configured differently on this pc? I thought it was cookie related but they are enabled.

Thanks,
Jeff

This pc doesn't allow anyone to login (it's not only 1 user) but all the other pc's are fine.

If the PC doesn't allow anyone to login, what credentials are you trying to retrieve with GetRolesForCurrentUser?

Mark

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

Thanks for the reply. We're using the standard (not custom) implementation of forms asp.net membership for authentication and roles. We pass the username and password to the authentication service using the Login() method. Once "True" is returned from Login(), we call GetRolesForCurrentUser() from the role service, which is always returning an empty string on the pc.

This pc is at a customer site and I haven't been able to work on the pc myself but our support dept has in limited timeframes. I've been working on a diagnostic tool hoping to gather enough data to suggest a fix for the customer. The only way I've been able to reproduce this behavior is by turning cookies off, which results in HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name being blank. Prior to working on this diagnostic tool, our support dept was able to determine cookies are enabled but maybe there's another setting controlling the cookies since that's the only way I've been able to duplicate this. I've google'd this for 2-3 days but haven't found a comparable reason for HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name being blank...the issues I found online effected all users/pc's but our situation is specific to a single pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back