Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rockwell PCI modem on slow computer?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J34

Technical User
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
I have a Rockwell PCI modem. I have tried to install it on my p133 and nothing happens. I have also tried installing it on a p400 (with Windows 2000) and the computer is unable to detect it. The modem has no jumpers on it.
Is the modem damaged or is it the computers?

Very well could be a bad modem. If you tried on 2 different PCs and nothing detected then its likely bad. Did you try manually installing it? Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Nothing wrong with the modem. Probably.
It won't install on the P133, because it's a winmodem, and needs a processor with MMX to even get recognized.
On the other computer, do the following:
Shutdown, and remove the modem.
Boot to safe mode.
Remove all modem(s) and com ports from device manager.
Restart, go into BIOS setup.
Disable com 2.
Set "PnP OS Installed" to NO.
Set "Reset configuration data" to YES.
Restart, shutdown.
Put the modem in.
Restart, reinstall.
If windows does not detect new hardware, just run the add hardware wizard from control panel. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Actually comtech not all Winmodems are this way. I have delt with a few that will allow a non-mmx install. Most will state if they require mmx or not. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
A+, MCP

Yes, I know, but he mentioned Rockwell in the first post, thus I know it's either an HCF or HSF chipset, both of which require MMX, unless it's one of those RARE jumperless ACF ones, only made by Actiontec or Multitech. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

You defanatly (spelling?) Know more about modems than I do. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
A+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back