Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rockwell KTX-FM-56K-VSE-unimodem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikshan

Technical User
Jul 9, 2001
US
I have Windows 95. The modem suddenly stopped connecting to the internet. Don't know if anything caused by various CDs my kids instal and run. I removed the modem and COM2, COM3 ports as well as the sound devices, and reinstalled them (several times) based on drivers on my disks. Here is the problem:

a) The computer always detects the modem and wave device and automatically instals it. I cannot stop that operation. The computer automatically assigns a non-existent COM port to the modem, that I cannot change. E.g., if COM 1,2 & 3 exist, the computer assigns COM4 to the modem. When I check on resources, I find that the computer assigned port always has a conflict with respect to interrupt or any other setting with COM 1, 2 or 3. If I set up COM4, the computer changes the modem setting to COM5, and so on. It is quite frustrating.

b) When I instal the modem from the disk, it shows in Device Manager as a second modem. I can change the COM port for the modem I manually instal. I make sure it is a valid port, and I can toggle it to switch (between Comm 2 and COM 3). (COM1 is used by the mouse.) If I delete the computer installed modem, it gets automatically reinstalled the next time I boot the machine. When I ask for More Info under Diagnostics (Control Panel, Modems), for the modem I install, the message is 'Can't open Port') immediately. For the computer installed modem, it tries to communicate for a while, and then cannot find the device.

Please suggest how do I fix this problem.

First, you're beating your head against the wall, trying to force an install. It's a PCI winmodem, and will automatically assign itself the next available com port as a virtual port, NOT one that already exists. The port will NOT show up in device manager under Ports.
Read my other (numerous) posts in this forum on methods to try installing stubborn modems. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks, Comtech. I looked at your other postings to fix the stubborn modem install. Specifically, I booted to safe mode, removed all modems and Comm Ports, and restarted. On restart, PnP reinstalls COM1 & LPT1 as ports as well as the modem. It assigns COM2 to the modem. I cannot manually add COM2 as a Port, nor can I change the modem's Port. I can now communciate with the modem (via Device Manager, Diagnostics, More info), but can't dial out.

So, I tried going in the BIOS setup. There are many options such as BIOS features setup, Integrated peripherals, PNP/PCI configuration, etc. etc.. I cannot DISable COM2 anywhere! I could change PnP OS installed from Yes to No, in PNP/PCI configuration. Other things I can do in PNP/PCI Config. (current settings in the bracket): Resources controlled by (Auto), Reset Config. data (Enabled), CPU to PCI write buffer (Enabled), CPU Dynamic Burtsting (Enabled), PCI Master WS write (enabled), PCI Par concurrency (Disabled), PCI delay transaction (Disabled), PCI IRQ activated by (Edge), PCI IDE IRQ Map to (PCI-Auto), Primary IDE Int # (A), Secondary IDE Int # (B). Please let me know if you want to know of the options I can toggle each setting to. I tried changing resoruces controlled by from Auto to Manual. That aloowed me to reset IRQ 3 & 4 from 'Assigned to legacy ISA' to 'PCP/ISA PnP'. But no help. I set it back to original.

In Device Manager, View by connection, only COM1 & LPT1 show. I went to Device Manager, System Devices, PCI bus, Properties, IRQ steering, and it says that it has been disabled. (There is no option for me to enable or disable it.) Note that IRQ Holder for PCI Steering shows up twice under System Devices (Device Manager): once with Interrupt of 10 & the second time with an interrupt of 11. Other things under system devices are PCI Std. ISA bridge, Plug & play BIOS, Programmbale interrupt controller (interrupt setting of 2 under Resources), System board extension for PnP BIOS, etc. I did not touch any of them.

In another response, you had referred to a bunch of invalid reg. keys. Besides removing all ports and modems in safe mode, you had mentioned a) pull the modem, b) remove all Networking components in Device Manager, remove DUN in Add/Remove programs , shut down and double check for COM2 disabled, put the modem in. If I cannot toggle or check for COM2 disabled anywhere in BIOS setup, is it worth doing all other things? Is there anything else I should do instead? If I remove all Networking components (Dial up adapters), would Windows automatically find and instal them? By DUN, I think you mean Dial Up Networking program. If I remove it, will Windows find it on restart, or will I have a problem?

If I buy a new modem, will I have conflicts if Windows keep finding and installing COM1, LPT! and the Rockwell modem (with COM2)? Because of that, I would rather fix the problem instead of buying another modem.

Your advice is most appreciated.

If the modem installed on com 2, and the Diagnostics, more info button works (you get the ATi responses) then the modem is installed correctly, and all hardware is working.
Don't mess with the BIOS any more, as com 2 must already be disabled if the modem is there.
Time to do the next bit, remove DUN (dial-up-networking), and all networking stuff. Restart, then go to Start > Run > and type in: inetwiz
This will create a new connection to the internet, and completely reinstall DUN at the same time, so have the windows CD handy.
Com 1 and LPT 1 working, is just fine.
Does this modem have jumpers or not?
Somewhere in the BIOS (I think it's under "peripheral devices", or "chipset...", you can disable the serial ports. That's where you disable com 2. It may be called serial "B". Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

It works! You are a genius, Comtech. Thanks a bunch. By the way, I visited your website also. Saw Canadian flags, I think. Nice country and nice people. Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back