Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rockwell HCF 56K PCI Mode - Win98 - dials but won't connect to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

memawdude

Technical User
Aug 4, 2003
US
I have a Rockwell HCF 56K PCI Mode modem in a Sony Vaio Laptop with Win98. I cannot get connected to the internet. My modem dials and I get the usual chatter before error message of "Failed to Connect" or "Remote Computer did not answer". My Internet Provider suggested a new driver for my modem. Any suggestions?

Try to get a new driver for your modem...haha. Go to the homepage of your manufacturer and look for a downloads link or a drivers link and find the exact driver for your particular modem. Uninstall your old driver and put the downloaded one on and see what happens.

Depending on what version of windows youre using (i'm assuming you are using some version of windows), get to your Network properties. (if you need help on finding this, let us know what version of windows you are using for sure). Now just take out everything in there...take out Client for Microsoft Networks, TCP/IP, IPX, whatever is in there...just remove them all and reboot! This will hurt nothing. When you reboot, windows will automatically reconfigure these to use only ones you need. This has helped me many times because sometimes certain unneeded protocols mess things up, even though you'd think they have nothing to do with it!

Last resort, try another modem! Analog modems are very sensitive and can stop working in an instant...I hate them with a passion. There may be just 1 little thing wrong with your modem and a new one could work perfect! This also has happened to me....like 4 in a year. =(

Sounds like a protocol (software) problem. Check the PPP layer stuff. You didn't say what OS etc. If the carriers stay up, it's probably not the modem. I forget the network config details, but I think that's where you should look, under control panel, network or internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back